All news

Club beat AEK Athens 4-1 in second friendly

Voorbereidingen 2024-2025

After last week's 1-1 draw against Royal Knokke FC, Club won its second friendly comfortably 4-1 against AEK Athens following a Ljubicic own goal and goals from Jutglà, Talbi and Barberà.

Early on in the first half the visitors opened the scoring when Garcia's volley flew against the crossbar and went over the goalline via Mignolet's back. But just one minute later Robert Ljubicic' own-goal tied things up again when his back pass surprised goalkeeper Brignoli.

Half an hour into the game Club deservedly took the lead when Vanaken picked out Jutglà with a superb cross pass and the Catalan sidefooted it into the bottom left corner. On the stroke of half-time Talbi latched on to a Nielsen through pass before lifting it over the goalkeeper to double the lead.

Second half

The second half started with a number of new faces. Romeo Vermant replaced Ferran Jutglà for Club, while for AEK Nourreddine Amrabat and Petros Mantalos replaced Niclas Eliasson and Robert Ljubicic. The visitors were on top in the opening quarter of an hour with a couple of good chances. Mitoglou fired just wide on a corner kick and Garcia failed to half the deficit face to face with Mignolet.

Coach Hayen made a number of changes between the 65th and 75th minute: Boyata, Et-Taïbi, summer signing Romero, Lenn De Smet, Wylin, Liam De Smet, Barberà, Granados, Bisuwi and De Corte came on the pitch. Athens also made a number of substitutions with fifteen minutes left on the clock: Theocharis (GK), Chrysopoulos, Radonja, Katsikas, Roukounakis, Kanellopoulos, Kosidis, Fofana and Theodoridis made their way into the fray.

All those changes made the match interesting again as both sides had a lot of offensive aspirations. Et-Taïbi rushed forward to put pressure on goalkeeper Theochais, who played the ball in Et-Taïbi's feet. The academy player put the ball against the back of the net, but the goal was disallowed because of a handball prior to his goal.

After fourty minutes Romero's debut was over and he came to the bench again, together with Vermant. Da Silva and Willems took their places.

With still fifteen minutes left the game was lively with chances on both ends. A long-distance strike from Granados shaved the outside of the post and Theocharis parried away Barberà's effort. But deep into stoppage time both players played a part in Club's fourth goal when Granados teed up Barberà to roll the ball into an empty goal: 4-1.