All news

Last gasp defeat for Club visiting Antwerp

Jupiler Pro League

The clash at Antwerp ended in a bitter 2-1 defetat for Club, despite a Maxim De Cuyper opener early on in the second half. Goals by locals Corbanie and Ondrejka turned the game around in the dying minutes of the game.

Ronny Deila opted for the same team that had drawn with KV Kortrijk on Tuesday, and just like in that game, Club grabbed the home team by the throat from the very beginning, resulting in a number of fine chances. A deflected shot by Skov Olsen went just wide five minutes into the game, but just straight after Meijer's header seemed goalbound, only for Janssen to clear it from the goal line. Thiago's fine interception also looked promising, but the Brasilian was unable to set up Zinckernagel.

Club's defense stood ground, and a fine cross towards Ilenikhena was cleared right on time. Club reacted through a cross by Nielsen almost finding Zinckernagel, and Skov Olsen's fine pass intercepted by Ekkelenkamp, while Antwerp's Alderweireld aimed an effort off Vanaken just wide.

In het slot van de eerste helft kon Blauw-Zwart opnieuw dreigen via een hoekschop. Doumbia devieerde het leer richting eigen doel, maar Janssen kon het leer net voor Vetlesen wegtrappen. Een schot van Janssen ging daarna over doel, terwijl een harde knal van Thiago in het zijnet strandde. De beste kans voor Antwerp viel op slag van rust: Ilenikhena kon Spileers van zich afschudden aan de middellijn, stormde op doel af, maar trapte het leer over de deklat.

With Balanta coming on for Vetlesen, Club again steamed forward in the second half, and once again Meijer came close to opening the score, but this time his header went over. No need to panic, however, as the reward finally came in the 0-1 through De Cuyper, following up neatly by the far post after Skov Olsen saw his one-time touch pawed away by Butez.

With Wijndal untimely pulling back to his goalkeeper and seeing the ball go wide of target to his relier, Club's double lead almost came in gift wrapping. All corner kicks seemed to end up with one man, as Meijer's header this time was again cleared from the line. With twenty minutes to go, Zinckernagel was forced to forego with an injury, replaced by Boyata, shifting Club's defense to a three-man in the centre to try and sustain Antwerp's final attacking urges. Still it was Club getting the better of the game: a cleared ball came to Vanaken whose hard shot sailed over, a fate also bestowed upon Nielsen's cracker.

With Club in charge and Anwerp hardly capable of creating danger, a heart warming three points seemed the logical reward for Blue and Black. Five minutes before full-time, however, a long range rocket by Kobe Corbanie helped the hosts to the equaliser. Club tried reacting, but without success, as Nielsen saw his volley blocked. Well into injury time, Maxim De Cuyper sustained a serious injury, seeing him stretchered out, and to make matters worse, a brilliant Odrejka free kick outsmarted Mignolet for the 2-1. The ruccus after the game earned Vanaken a red card after abuse towards ref Vergoote. 

Jupiler Pro League – Match Day 24
Audience: 16,000 – Bosuil Stadium
Ref: Mr. Jasper Vergoote
Royal Antwerp FC: Jean Butez – Jelle Bataille (78’ Jacob Ondrejka), Zeno Van den Bosch, Toby Alderweireld, Owen Wijndal – Mahamadou Doumbia (85’ Kobe Corbanie), Vincent Janssen, Jurgen Ekkelenkamp – Chidera Ejuke (85’ Victor Udoh), George Ilenikhena, Gyrano Kerk (46’ Arbnor Muja). Coach: Mark van Bommel
Club Brugge: Simon Mignolet – Maxim De Cuyper (97’ Denis Odoi), Jorne Spileers, Brandon Mechele, Bjorn Meijer – Hugo Vetlesen (46’ Éder Balanta), Casper Nielsen, Hans Vanaken – Andreas Skov Olsen (88’ Ferran Jutglà), Igor Thiago, Philip Zinckernagel (72’ Dedryck Boyata). Bench: Joe Bursik, Nordin Jackers, Kyriani Sabbe, Michał Skóraś en Victor Barbera. Coach: Ronny Deila.
Yellow: Janssen, Vetlesen, Skóraś, Thiago, Boyata, Muja.
Red: Vanaken.
Goals: 54’ De Cuyper (0-1), 86’ Corbanie (1-1), 99’ Ondrejka (2-1).